Saturday 18 June 2016

Week 39-41: Closing the chapter.

New chapter.....



As I write this update I am staying away from home for some 'respite time' as the building works at home have now moved into the main part of the house to facilitate alternative use of space; i.e.construction of a wet room in the ex- utility room, re-configuring the dining room space and completion of the new space a 5m x 4m room. The disturbance too much for me to contend with in my reduced state, although the building works are 'likely be complete by the end of next week.'

  I can now start thinking about how I want this room to work for me at this current time before it needs to become a dedicated bedroom when I am no longer able to be mobile. We have flooring to put in and to decorate internally, hopefully by the end of July - we will be done and all can be returned to 'normal'.

  I am currently writing some final work for my degree and completing my voluntary therapeutic work as part of this qualification. Once completed, (mid July),  I can retire properly and move onto a new chapter which I hope to be full of fulfilling activity, focused on my own self care, well-being and health.

  A holiday somewhere in the UK seems like a great idea in late July before I sense my world will become much smaller and more contained physically to my home environment.I don't mind this it will be good to spend some quality time at home after so many years of time invested in other things.

  From a health perspective - generally things are quite stable apart from my ever reducing capability to walk, which in itself is clearly very limiting and takes away much of the ability to get out into the community and enjoy the outdoors. I am surprised by my robustness in dealing with the complexities of this illness and feel the the last few years of self development are invaluable in assisting with this balanced approach.

  Still able to drive well I am keen to secure the services of a P.A. to accompany me on days out/appointments to maintain some independence in the short term - I am hopeful this works out with a close family member, I am awaiting some funding to support this & have been waiting since January for the very slow wheels of the healthcare support system to turn.

 I've been working on living in the moment and living life a day at a time which has really helped me function well in the last month or so ......   for today it's back to the F1 and football :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment